Thursday, December 01, 2005

Singalong

We had a singalong the day after Thanksgiving.

It happened rather casually -- probably about the dozenth (is that a word?) time we passed some neighbors with similarly aged kids, we said, hey yeah, we should get together and play some guitar some time. And then it happened. I said to Julie, how about the morning after Thanksgiving? And the invites went out (along with some mix cds and song lyrics to try to build up a common repertoire) and the neighbors came over.

Chris on the right there, came with guitar in hand, wife and children in tow. I was impressed by the whole family: by his playing, by how well behaved their three sons are and by the fact that Judy (who sings quite well) knew all the words to the Bob the Builder theme song.

JB, Susan and Julia came over, too. There's Julia on drums. More great singing! Amy said she only wished she heard more of JB's great deep voice. The effort to actually schedule the singalong can be credited to Susan who got us to go see Dan Zanes -- his love of playing music with his family is infectious. (Oh and I should point out that JB now thinks that we have fires in our house all the time. No! Just when we have guests. Thanks, by the way, for helping with lunch JB!)

Andrew, Julide and Hector brought uncle Jonathan along and I immediately handed him a guitar (he's in the first picture up there). Jonathan is a natural for this kind of thing, no doubt honed from years of hanging out before Dead concerts.

Hermana Amy sang along too and miraculously John and Lucia slept through all the racket! That's good sleeping, kid.


It was fun, a casual gathering that had some weight, if that makes any sense. I guess what I mean is, it was memorable and we hope to do it again sometime soon.

Here's one of the songs we sang:

Study War No More (Down by the riverside)

I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield, Down by the riverside
Down by the riverside, Down by the riverside
I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield, Down by the riverside
I ain't gonna study war no more.
E | B7 E | E | B7 E

CHORUS
I ain't gonna study war, I ain't gonna study war
I ain't gonna study war no more
I ain't gonna study war, I ain't gonna study war
I ain't gonna study war no more
A E | B7 E |A E | B7 E

I'm gonna put on my long white robe, Down by....

I'm gonna put on that starry crown, Down by...

I'm gonna shake hands with all the world, Down by...

No comments: